Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Saturday, January 30, 2010

before I Shut my eyes

I’ve been talking to ex-convicts day in day out, been listening to recordings night in night out, been detecting trends and patterns sometime here and sometime there. It is surprising how exhausted I feel after each session. An hour per person and I feel entirely drained, like the essence of life is being sucked out of me. I sat in Starbucks today, sinking into the couch, sipping Honey Orange Mocha, staring into space, watching people pass, gazing at the sky. All I register are colours, movements, shapes, nothing defined and concrete. It’s as if I were sitting inside a vacuum watching some form of life played out on a plasma screen with a glass panel separating the screen and my being. In my business these days, I feel more at ease and at peace though. I guess it comes with being clear about what I want, what I don’t, and ultimately forming more meaningful relationships with people who matter.

8 comments:

curiouslypaper said...

hey zhiqi, i totally know what you mean. research is so all-consuming! i meant to tell you the other day after we met, i really think you're so brave for making the decision you did. it's something that takes real courage and strength, it must be really hard. And for that i really respect you for your resolve. See you soon again zhiqi, this weekend :)

Rubber Dust said...

hey carol, tell me about it... scheduling interviews, travelling down to the field site, dropping everything in my schedule to interview people are things i'm beginning to get used to.

y'know i really enjoyed anthroplogy when i did a module on it. send me some of your fav readings: )your research is really interesting! i can't wait to read the end-product. and if you do need to borrow Honours Thesis collections from the nus library, (go to linc.nus.edu.sg) feel free to borrow my card.

thanks carol. i guess it's a matter of making a decision and being hard on myself to stick to it. yes, i'll see you this weekend: ) contact you again!

Dean said...

hi zhiqi,

thanks for visiting my blog! :D
press on for ur thesis ok! I can help u read ur drafts! heh...

Rubber Dust said...

hah i couldnt remember your add... was trying different combinations before i got the right one. haaa more interviews for me today! if i acxtually start writing and producing smtg, will let u read! xie xie:D

huixian said...

jia you zhiqi!! we must finish our theses!!

Rubber Dust said...

YES!!!! go hui hsien go!!!! oh btw i saw your back view on TNP Sunday; ))

huixian said...

haha... u recognize me? or was it my colorful skirt?!

Anonymous said...

lovely post. hugs zhi <3
steph