Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

While we are still impulsive-


"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion. For most men, it appears to me, are in a strange uncertainty about it, whether it is of the devil or of God, and have somewhat hastily concluded that it is the chief end of man here to "glorify God and enjoy him forever."
A friend shared that with me. And another one, on going to bed, asked me "Why do we have to sleep?"
"Because we have to start dreaming again at some point."

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

A thought-provoking entry, and probably our lives are too hectic to allow us to stop and wonder abt the workings of life that are before us, or ahead of us. I've always seen life as an ellipsis, stopping here and there momentarily, but picking itself up again, and moving on.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to go to the woods too, but the closest thing we had was macritchie so i decided against it. afterall, the trees there dont seem to be safe, AND more importantly, how liberating can it be when you can actually hear traffic all the time?

ps
I think we need to sue the sciencists soon, our treasury is getting broke and we need money.

Rubber Dust said...

haha joshua. when are you leaving?

p.s. that's daryl from anthro btw.: )

Something Small Thinking Big said...

Can also try the mountains. Carve out a cave and reside in it. :)

Be the ultimate hermit, or crudely said, the escapist, to detach away from the realities that you are facing so as to experience the real life that you wish to live.

But that being said, how possible can it be?

Anonymous said...

that reminds me of your ubin retreat entry:) -ml

Anonymous said...

Oh! Hello Daryl. Btw in case you didnt know, you are employed as the DPS's secret undercover, cannot tell anybody assassin-hunter who will take out our secret cannot tell anyone enemies!

Btw, i think this blog is too intellectual for me. I cant stand you la!! Why are u so smart! why! Intelligence must be spread among mankind evenly!!!!!

:(

*Joshua is visibly upset*

Anonymous said...

oh ya i am leaving tmr!!! :) I will bring back lots and lots of photos!

elevenztwelve@gmail.com said...

ZHIQI!

Why do you not have a tagboard??

Anyways, why you cannot access my blog???

sallylovestoeat.blogspot.com
meatasaurus.blogspot.com

Rubber Dust said...

ooi brenda, i have no idea. haha did u ban me????! LOL. it just doesn't load. it's just a black page with nothing on it whenever i go to both blogs.: (

joshua, DPS idea is cool but i thought u were kidding.are u acutally serious?

ml, what was the cheesy song u made me pick? i forgot the title.

oh hey, brenda, ur blogs work now. u unblocked me? : )

Eman Rohe said...

Try Tenzin Palmo's Cave in the Snow and see what she has to say about Caves.
Or try Life of Milarepa

Yawn, tired, sleep.

Rubber Dust said...

ok, ah tiong.: )they sound so foreign where can i get them? or do u have them?i'm looking forward to cooking... buddha jump over the wall!

Eman Rohe said...

Oh, you could get it from any large bookstores or national libraries or SBL library.

By the way, I have borrowed another book from SBL library which may appeal to you as it has the same theme: The wisdom of Solitude

Anonymous said...

I've come across this somewhere! who wrote this?

-alvin

Anonymous said...

this i promise you.

Rubber Dust said...

ml: )can u go for cooking class?

alvin, you're soci alvin right? i shall be mean n not tell you then.

elevenztwelve@gmail.com said...

HEY Eraser-Girl!

Go here for your Dunkin Donut fix: http://www.zlhub.per.sg/dd/work.htm