Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Book Drive


If you've got English books for children, ranging from pictorial one-liners to Enid Blyton, and have no use of them anymore, why not pass it on to Project Metta?

Project Metta is a joint effort by a few organizations: NAFA, Ngee Ann Poly, NUS, and the Singapore Buddhist Lodge. (I’m not sure if I missed out any.) At different time frames, these teams will be going to Laos to build a library and to teach English.

What we want: Specifically English books for children, the highest standard being Enid Blyton. That said, your Sweet Valley, Babysitter’s Club, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, The Three Investigators, and other stuff you grew up reading will not be suitable for the kids because they have not reached that level of language proficiency.

When we want: My team will be leaving in early May but it’d be best if you could contribute before April to give some time allowance for packing.

If you have books to donate, please do e-mail me at yeo_zhi@hotmail.com. I’d very gladly arrange a meeting place most convenient for you to collect the books. If you have other friends in this project, you can pass it to them too. Even if you don’t personally know me, say I’m your boyfriend’s sister’s neighbour's cousin’s primary school friend, please do not hesitate to contact me!

I don’t know what you think of when the word “Laos” is thrown at you because quite frankly, I don’t know myself. I can’t attach an image to it the way I’d pair golden beaches with Australia or lavender fields with New Zealand, but I do know that your efforts (in digging out some old childhood books) will brighten someone’s day in a place not so far away from Singapore.

Thanks,
zhiqi

4 comments:

michelle said...

hi zhiqi! omg your pictures just reminded me of enid blyton and all her famous five, twins of st clares, the folk of the faraway tree, malory towers.. arghhh! :] i wanna read them! sorry i can't help with the donation, i do wish i still had all my books. good luck with it though! and random *hug :]

Rubber Dust said...

they were always sucking toffees and having lovely afternoon teas:D oh did u know? my friend just told me they cost $3.90 each! anyway,thanks merd! hope everything's going great for u: )

Anonymous said...

hey yeo zhi! i have some books with me. i was gonna discard them until i read ur blog. looks like they are nt going to waste after all. haha. i'll pass them to you when i see you again yah. meanwhile take good care of yourself ok!

a.c.e

Rubber Dust said...

hahaha thanks a.c.e, i was wondering who on earth is this person and kept re-reading your message. anyway, THANKS! do spread the word and ask your friends: )