Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Monday, February 19, 2007

Infertile

These days when I am at a book, I would turn to the first few pages to read the writer’s credentials, to check out his life neatly summed up in a paragraph. I think of Morrison’s treatment of slavery, Conrad’s critique on colonialism or Coetzee on post apartheid Africa, and I cannot help feeling that there is nothing worthy in my life to be written about. My sanitized and protected Singaporean life, with no wars, no conflict, no suffrage. It is not that I long for something bad to shake my life. I am yearning for an experience, of some kind, I don’t know myself. Perhaps that is why I want to go to Laos, I think I might be touched when I see a landscape so different from our own, or when I witness a lifestyle I have only seen on television screens. I am not charitable; I cannot or am not prepared to dedicate my entire life to humanitarian work. Neither do I think that a single trip to teach English and build a library would change their ways of life in any way. I am hunting for something which I can create an experience out of.

Yet, I am aware that even in this sterile life, there are many experiences which I would not think or write about. It is easy to write about a country’s suffering or a shared common pain and emotion but it is difficult to write about something personalized and individualized.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah laos will be a life-changing exp!was that in your application? :)ml

Rubber Dust said...

maybe? i can't remember. the meeting this morning felt surreal... sitting in that room with everyone else, realising that-hey i'd be going to laos soon! anyhow, get well, girl, get well! hugs: )

Anonymous said...

Concentrate on your studies.
Learn as much as you can, while you can, in university.
Apply accordingly when you graduate.
Learning doesn't stop after university.
Use knowledge gained from university as a gateway to the world, to learn more about the world.

Rubber Dust said...

wow, are you my mum in disguise? thanks for the advice anyway. :D

Anonymous said...

HAHA i nearly applied to go to laos too. funny, i thought u'd pick vietnam if u wanted to go:)

meghna

Rubber Dust said...

so meghna, are you going to vietnam? i've a friend going to philippines under bhbh. anyway, join sports camp!

Anonymous said...

yeah lets take a deep breath and we'll get through e semester, e exams..and e nxt thg we knw, we'd b in laos! -ml

Anonymous said...

haha nope to all the above.
it's me la dei:)
meghna

gwa said...

harlo, i also wanna go laos. but i pangseh the interviewer, so i think got no chance. anyway, i cant commit anytime during the sem for laos. buy back some souvenirs from there hor.
Nice blog zq, see u around in school

Rubber Dust said...

ambrose! we're not going there to shop la. i thought u wanted to crash my lit lec??