Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Found & Lost

My room feels new because the bulb from the old table lamp blew and now everything looks different in white light instead of the previous orange light.

In other news, I’ve gotten myself excited coming up with a list of haute places to visit:

i) SAM- TransportAsian exhibit
ii) Polymath and Crust- To purchase Wena Poon’s “Lion in Winter” and Suchen Christine Lim’s “The Lies that build a Marriage” or just to soak in the atmosphere.
iii) Sinema Old School- White Days
iv) Tom’s Palette/ Island Creamery/ Dempsey’s Ben & Jerry’s- Ice Cream is the world's best creation!
v) Heirloom and Caramel
vi) Mac Café opposite Parkway Parade on a week night
vii) Pacific Coffee at Vivo City
viii) Chinatown- The whole Club Street, Ann Siang Hill area is quite a treasure I recently discovered.
ix) The tree houses in VJ and running to Bedok Jetty
x) Mr Teh Tarik at Far East Square
(to be continued…)
Drawing up this list made me realize how places are so intricately linked to people. Every place belongs to someone who was there with you and who made enough impact to be the first person you think of when that place comes to mind.







I love this quote I found on Wena Poon’s site:

“So, to all of you, writers and dreamers out there, whether published or unpublished, whether employed or not: remember Kafka was an insurance salesman. The odds may be stacked against you and you may have to run away from your gift in order to survive. Your friends, parents, society may define success as having a career as a lawyer, a banker, an engineer, a doctor. But take heart. Because in the end, you don’t choose Art. Art chooses you. And Instinct always wins, in the end.”

2 comments:

Wena Poon said...

Hi! Hope you don't mind me writing you but I saw your blogpost on my Google Alerts. It was a dull Friday in the United States, and your post brought a big smile to my face!

The "Art Chooses You" quote is from a longer article which you can read on my Lions In Winter blog:

http://lionsinwinterbook.blogspot.com/2008/12/wena-in-marie-claire-holiday-issue-2008.html

I totally, completely, believe in what I said in the article, and am heartened that you and other bloggers feel the same way (a lot of people have quoted this extract!). I'm writing a lot on these themes in my new book, The Proper Care of Foxes, which I hope to make available at Singapore Writers Fest in Oct 2009.

As musicians say while getting ready with their guitar on stage, this one's for all you dreamers out there! Keep the faith!

wenapoon@gmail.com

Rubber Dust said...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a note! I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my mail on a gloomy Monday morning at work with blisters on my ankle from a new pair of shoes.

It was so heartening reading your article. I almost teared reading it.

I read it over and over. Not just because it was so well written, but there were so many lines of quiet thoughts I had that were put onto paper in such tangible words.

"Writing was like breathing. Only later did I realise....That despite being a responsible adult with a real job, I will never truly grow up and mature unless until I began to behave like a real writer and allow the world to view me as one."

Wow.

I'm waiting in anticipation for The Proper Care of Foxes: ) Thanks once again!