Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Silent all these years


Some days I am idealistically unrealistic, some nights I am cynical as can be, tonight I am glad that it rained in the day and there is this cool air that hangs all over.

I’ve been telling everyone (with wild enthusiasm) to read Joshua Harris’s Boy Meets Girl because it seems to me that if you are able to choose the right partner and follow his very high standards on courtship, then it’d end on a “and so they live happily ever after” note (on a less cynical night).

And I’ve also been telling everyone about the jug-big rocks-pebbles-sand-water story (I’m sorry if you don’t know because I’m too lazy to type it) and asking them what the big rocks in their lives are. People usually have a difficult time ranking what their rock ought to be, or their pebble, and so on. And if they had only one big rock, what would that be? They usually agree that well surely we can have a few big rocks in the jug, right?

Also, interestingly, I just heard this one, the jug represents religion (because we all need something to contain us) and the jug’s shadow represents family, ever present, but always taken for granted.

Other things today, I saw an old abandoned sofa along the road on my way home.

Other thoughts today, I hate it that time is always triumphant (like a big fat Cheshire cat grinning) because it catches one off guard no matter how many years of our lives we have been through, we still go oh my time flies. We ought to have gotten used to it by now, two decades, and the time span of a year never changes, but time is always faster than we remembered it to be.

More thoughts today, I think insecurity moulds a person to be guarded and contentment moulds one to be open. Is the open person the abandoned sofa along the road cold and wet in the rain for all to stare at? Is the guarded person the one within the house safe from the coldness but having nobody to admire the shine of her leather? (But who cares really-my favourite line from Silent All These Years is “What’s so amazing about really deep thoughts”)

I hope I don't get sued posting this online, Good Night.

(Maybe a guarded person is one who has left out all the additions, all the extra brackets in life.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

with 'jug' as God, and the 'jug's shadow' as family- it makes my life and decisions easier. know why- fewer categories to be shortlisted as the very selective and exclusive 'big rocks' ;)ml

Rubber Dust said...

haha helloooo that's playing cheat. i heard about the dinner topic...(LOVE!:D) i should have stayed instead of gg for yoga. going to sleep now, good night, go to school tomorrow. nobody skips first lectures..!

Anonymous said...

hohoho..

was it about LOVE? :P i dun really remember.. i think i recall more of the chasing and screaming down the halls of vivo haha. :P ah and the raspberry brulee cheesecake!! :P~

i think wat's sad about the analogy.. is that sometimes we realise that we fill it with so much sand and pebbles, by the time we find the rock or realise that we have one, there's no more space in your jug!

so seek out ur big rocks, and mabbe.. you'll get a sparkly diamond!! :P hoho

see u soon cheekee!! :)

Rubber Dust said...

HXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, about the big rocks story right, you're supposed to put in the big rocks FIRST, and then the pebbles, sand, finally the water. cause the smaller particles would fit into the gaps. get the picture?: )

how has work been treating you? i almost took an archi mod called "reading visual images".i thought of YOU instantly. you'd be able to help! but clashed with my timetable unfortunately.

yes yes yes, find your diamond!; )hope to see you soon!