Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Orange Warmth

Finally, after Christmas, I have found the time to sit in front of my laptop to think about the last few weeks. December has been a month of rushing and also of unhurried reflections during journeys, long coach rides in Taiwan and to Selangor.

This has also been a month of the most precious conversations, propping heads up in a foreign MacDonalds, in another land having our Life Journeys played out all over again, part three, four, five, six, drawing closer to each other as we have conversations beyond plastered polite smiles, about religion, family, love, topics that carry past fatigue. Conversations that disregard place and surrounding, in a random food outlet in Bugis, Sarah and I gushing, laughing, listening to each other, parting with a tight hug, an intimacy that leaves the double syllabic friend-ship understated and weak. Conversations that ignore time, at two am in a Prata Coffeeshop with my mother, placing past secrets on the table over cups and more cups of tea, drinking into a night of revelations and also acceptance. So much emotion is evoked in these placid sharing and exchanges, it is incredible how the small human heart muscle can hold it all.

How else can or shall I document this month when there is so much to write about but when every thought that runs through my head seems indescribable. Last night, I could not follow the rhythm of handclaps because there was a joy that I could not contain. Last night, I turned around to see a beautiful sight where orange glows lifted the darkness. Cold fingers clasped around white wax, flames that held every single heart, friends around me, I could almost feel them beaming in the peaceful serenity.

Old Man Charles wrote in a Christmas card, “For this Christmas and the coming New Year, I wish that you retain the virtues of sentimentality but throw away the vices of indecisiveness.” I guess ambivalence always accompanies memory because with memory there is a desire to return, like how I could just continue on endlessly about the past, instead of summarizing it into neat paragraphs like these.

I was writing short notes the other day, with every card speaking of the New Year to come, “May 2008 be your best year yet”, and I am truly looking forward to this new year, a year of possibilities with renewed strength.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

eh i have to say this again- your clapping was totally out of rhythm! hahaha:D

Anonymous said...

Zhiqi, u mean u have psycho-motor problems? Hahaha....u shld spend 20mins a day trying to clap along to songs....haha

Daryl

Anonymous said...

ZQ! i demand attention! ATTENTION!!!

oh well that aside, your posts are sounding more and more personal these days :) i like that. Although, there's something vaguely alluring about being mysterious. *ponder ponder*

You should think about which is most beneficial in the social exchange theory perspective.

:)

Miss ya!

Harrison said...

A meaningful Christmas, a meaningful holiday is elusive, but it seems that you truly made full use of it, both emotionally and physically. Good for you!

For myself, this month has been one of sharing time together, sometimes without the need for conversation - just being there already means so much to me.

Rubber Dust said...

ohhhh harrison! hahah i havent written that article. oppps i'm sorry! THIS WEEKEND THIS WEEKEND.

joshua hey you know what? i found out that my fav prof in the whole wide world has a facebook account too! go check it out! ok i will have more mysterious phantom-like posts next time...anyway, i saw this huge chicken pie at secret recepie the other day, it almost has your name/face on it.:D what mods are u doing next sem? no more cowboy mods for us! i am so v devastated.

HELLO daryl??! AHA. guess what i got for sing soc? SAME AS YOU!!

EH mk you couldnt follow the beat too ok! totally distracting...maybe guan was the one distracting alll of us.

Anonymous said...

hey helllo... don't think i'm not reading this. I think it's you zq. haha

Anonymous said...

Sigh, ZQ just called me a chicken pie face. I donno what that means. But .. well... Chicken pie face u know! I SHALL ASSUME THAT ITS AN INSULT! *Throws my glove in ur face* EN GARDE!

oh oh next sem hor i am taking 3101 and DEVIANCE. SO all the nice people that read this blog must take the same mods k!!! MUST K!!! and be my classmate. I like friends :)

PS
can u imagine if there is such a thing as the chicken pie man. IMAGINE WHAT SUPERPOWERS I WOULD HAVE *Throws live chicken that burst into chicken pies on impact*

Charles Sng said...

Ahhh ZQ, seems like you are getting more and more natural calling me old man...:(

Anyway, from what you had written, it looks like I am not the only old one ;)

But, perhaps instead of desiring to return, why not start from where you have left off? We can never return to where we were, but we can always start from where we are....you need both memories and decisiveness to take the next meaningful step ;)...and next..and the next....

Btw, that cooking encyclopedia should contain a page on making chicken pies ;)

Rubber Dust said...

haha charles, u signed off as old man charles in the card u know??!yah, i think i ought to try out something from your cook book before school starts right. but they all look so intimidating, like restaurant standard pictures scare me! you can be my v first guinea pig... since you gave me the book:D hahahha!

joshua, u're only doing those 2 mods? i cant decide if i'm doing power or qualitative inquiry. haha so cool you're a chicken pie man.u're really so full or rubbish...like you get entertained here!?! by yourself!

eh guan..u really went genting? or are u kidding? maybe u'll meet mk.

Anonymous said...

Sigh i cant help it ma... no one pays attention to me, so i entertain myself lors :( u are a meanie!

*chicken pie attack*