Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Monday, December 3, 2007

Love me tender

I have a way of writing in ambiguity such that most of what is documented becomes unfathomable, it feels personal yet detached, it seems clear yet incomprehensible. I never cared whether people reading this understood what I was talking about, whether they could relate to shared accounts, because writing, to me, is very much for the self.

But this entry shall be different; I have an experience to share and I am going to do so as explicitly as I can.

I began my semester wondering what love is. In one of my older entries in August, this is how I felt:
What is love, really? I am starting to believe, that love is made of emotions rising at certain moments, it is made of impulsiveness, it is made of sonnets that romanticize the mysterious thing that nobody knows, of songs that sing, “He fills my soul with so much love that anywhere I go I am never lonely”. But how long does it last, that after the years that passed, that you still could be passionately swept away.

Characterizing love is not difficult. In love, there is some care and concern, pain and tears, happiness and sadness. And love is varied, holding different kinds of relations together, fathers and daughters, mothers and sons, brothers and brothers, sisters and sisters, men and women. I seem to be able to tell what love is. Yet, to look at a scene of tenderness or to feel a certain emotion, realizing that is love and telling myself this is love is something I have difficulty doing. I think I know what love is, yet I am unable to pinpoint it.

These few weeks have been days of small discoveries and growing. I do not have clear answers but it is a notion that is becoming less vague. The biggest revelation to me is actually very simple: To feel love, one must allow to be loved.

I went to church a couple of Saturdays ago after a long hiatus and made a choice to open my heart. Service was scary as much as it was impactful. I was amazed by the level of faith and belief that others held, and I was more aware of the huge disparity that lay between me and them. Stepping up and taking a leap of faith was definitely not a moment of awakening, of certainty or conviction. As I stood, the only thoughts that were running through my mind was that it is very cold, am I ready for this choice, I ought to be more prepared this time round, it is really freezing.

This bout of doubt and uncertainty comes from the mindset that one’s level of faith has to reach a certain benchmark for the threshold of something new. In faith that dwindled, and amongst faith that appears unwaveringly strong, I felt I was not ready. But I had made a decision, a second one, and within insecurities and doubts, I decided to give myself a chance. On Sunday night, the same night I wrote an entry and said, “Tonight I will try”, I took out the bible that has been kept away for years and read it. I was expecting revelations, tears, an impact, a great one, I was bent on looking for the breakthrough force that people always talk about. There was none, I read it, it was comforting, but there was none.

When I related this to a friend the next day, he said many things, but the one thing that struck me was this, “Faith is like a muscle, you’ve to exercise it. Love is a choice.” I reaffirmed my choice that same night, in reading and in prayers in the nights that follow; I only wanted to reach out.

But sometimes, it is difficult. Stepping into and out of church is, like what another friend told me, “crossing between two worlds”. Returning home and going back into the world of realities feels like leaving something behind. Sometimes, in this sphere, within the walls of my room, in school, in between journeys, all that I really long for it to recreate that same experience in church, feeling His presence. So in faith that is on a constant fluctuation, some days big and other days small, I did the same thing I have been doing since the first night: reading and keeping in prayer.

And when I say the notion of love is becoming less vague to me, it is because I am able to pinpoint it, even as intangible, as invisible as it may seem, I find myself moved.

Last night I was confronted with the same feeling of loss that comes from leaving church and returning home. I fell asleep with “Remain in me, and I will remain in you.”

He works in ways we least expect. This morning, I received a letter, it is truly through God’s grace that I received it and in my shocked happiness, as I read the words on the letter, the only words that registered are those I read last night. As the letter is perhaps a new beginning of sorts, that Saturday is definitely a new beginning.

To feel love, one must allow to be loved.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear zhi, i'm so happy and excited for you! :) We definitely must talk soon! I realised our lives are parallel in many ways, (if you know what i mean). haha :)

Keeping you in my prayers!

Rubber Dust said...

dear tammmmmmmmm

: ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

today has got to be one of my happiest days ever. i sent you an email!

and yes, we're growing together!!hugs: )

Anonymous said...

hey zq =)beautifully written and so dear to your heart this entry is..anyway..just to share a poem with you..a priest from my church told us this simple poem titled “The Folded Page” during his homily..here goes:

“Up in the attic of an old house,
as raindrops pattered down on the roof,
I sat paging through my old schoolbook.

“I came to a page that was folded down.
Across it was written in my own childish hand:
‘The teacher says we should leave this for now.
It’s too hard to understand.’

“I unfolded the page and read it.
Then I smiled and nodded my head and said,
‘The teacher was right; now I understand.’

“There are many pages in the book of life
that are hard to understand.
All we can do is fold them down and write:

‘The Master says to leave this for now.
It’s too hard to understand.’

“Then, someday in heaven,
we’ll unfold the pages, reread them, and say,
‘The Master was right; now I truly understand.’"

well..certain things in life like faith and love are just so hard to fathom sometimes..i guess such stuffs cannot be understood overnight..God has his plans for us so let His will be done..take care and God bless =)

Rubber Dust said...

hi daryl!thanks for sharing this poem... it's v simple yet the message's strong.

hope you're doing goood! ORD-ed?: ) take care!

Anonymous said...

yups i liked this poem too =)anyway..yes i've ORD-ed!haha..it's good to be back leading a normal life..working now..and making plans for the next few months ahead of me! =)how about you?exams over i suppose?

Charles Sng said...

I am happy for you :)

And I am happy that you are able to realise and experience this now :)

Jiayou, in love and in life, one cannot be without the other :)

Rubber Dust said...

wise words from good o' charles: ) anyway, shouldnt u be hard at work at 3 and not slacking online!!?


that's GREAT! have a gooood looong break before uni. my exams are unfortunately not over, last paper's on thurs!

Charles Sng said...

hahah u should feel honored that your blog is one of the few sites that I will visit while taking a break from my work! ;)

Anonymous said...

wa iv got loads to say i dont know where/how to begin. very heartfelt,i'm moved. that last line (the thesis statement!) is a lil piercing, have been struggling w that all my life. i only like to give, and not take ha;p

sometimes crossing between two worlds can bring a sense of loss when we're back bumping in reality's terrains, but do believe that Love will see us through no matter where we are physically. it will be enough for a lifetime, and after.

i'm proud to be your friend, 3rd prize winner! i want to read your winning entry! and have your autograph!:D
-ML

Anonymous said...

hahah =)sure i definitely will treasure this good loooong break i have..am planning to go for a backpacking trip like maybe 1 month overseas next year before uni too!haven't decided where i will be going but it would either be europe or aus/nz areas =)anyway..all the best for your remaining papers then!keep in touch =)

Anonymous said...

Joshua The original hugger says:

You must try my chicken wings some day. They are so very very good.

Anyway, something cool happened today. In the midst of making coffee, my mum realized that there was a lizard in the kettle.

At that moment,
i suddenly love myself for not drinking coffee at all.

In case you are wondering,
i'm still making her relive that moment every chance i get.
I'm evil, i know. But if it happened to me, i'm sure she would have done the same...

My family's not very functional is it?

I miss talking to you. Catch up soon ya? I'll bring the chicken wings and maybe a chicken pie. YES IT SHOULD BE AN ALL CHICKEN DAY! Lets make our own holiday!

Chicken day anyone?

Rubber Dust said...

mk, goodbye to lib afternoons and nights!!!!:D i gotta thank you for all the advice you've been offering me along the way and for encouraging me.

they arent fantastic or anything but i can send u the poems online: )

joshua! NO CHICKEN DAY. eating just chicken? ewwwww.

daryl, that sounds so exciting!a month-long trip..woah! u could visit jen if u're gg NZ: )take lots of photos too, the blue skies and green fields, i think it'd be an amazing experience. yes, today marks the last day of exams! i am finally liberated!

haha, well charles, i look at the 3000 photos you took whenever i'm nostalgic: )

Anonymous said...

Joshua the original hugger says;
thats it la ZQ
All you do is reject my ideas.
YOU! Are the epitome of what makes poor subjugated MALES ever so filled with LOW SELF ESTEEM!
YOU! and all the media images that portray men as being subjects to women's desires!

CHICKEN DAY! I DEMAND CHICKEN DAY!

(Sings: CHICKEN AND ROSES>>>>CHICKEN AND ROSES>>>)

Anonymous said...

ohh yes it is!i'm excited just thinking about it! ;p hahaha..i'm very much into photography now too..so it's going to be a great opportunity for me to snap away and soak in the entire surroundings over there =)hahah..actually if possible i'll really consider hopping over to find jen too if i'm going to travel in nz that is =)yeps..that's why i said i'll make full use of this break before uni otherwise i wouldn't know when i can find another period of time so ideal to do such stuff i like..hahah..if you could..you really should try and go for such a trip too..at least once in your life i guess! =p