Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Friday, December 26, 2008

Walking in Light

I recently discovered Haruki Murakami and he is nothing short of brilliance. He captures emotions like a woman (yes stereotyping) trapped in a man's body. I've a strong impulse to read all his books before school starts.

"I took my time, trying to find the right words. 'I always feel as if I'm struggling to become someone else. As if I'm trying to find a new place, grab hold of a new life, a new personality. I suppose it's part of growing up, yet it's also an attempt to re-invent myself. By becoming a different me, I could free myself of everything. I seriously believed I could escape myself-as long as I made the effort. But I always hit a dead end. No matter where I go, I still end up me. What's missing never changes. The scenery may change, but I'm still the same old incomplete person. The same missing elements torture me with a hunger that I can never satisfy. I think that lack itself is as close as I'll come to defining myself. For your sake, I'd like to become a new person. It may not be easy, but if I give it my all, perhaps I can manage to change."

-South of the Border, West of the Sun

Two things I'm going to attempt to change in this new year ahead:

1) Not to be late.

2) To sleep early.

Two extremely daunting tasks, that's why they're called resolutions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes v intense emotionalism, thats why i love his works so much!(: here's to more murakami in 09, and check out banana yoshimoto too! she's the more melancholic version of murakami.

alvin said...

you should read norwegian wood! i have a couple of his books so let me know if you want to borrow any (i have norwegian wood but it's with a friend now), and i have kafka on the shore

Rubber Dust said...

hey, what a strange name....why would her parents name her banana? HAHAHAHA. i burst out laughing when i realize her name...is truly BANANA.