Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

once in a lifetime

Sentimentality and indecisiveness would kill me.

Tonight, I am very happy. Class 95's playing. I like the smell of soap in my room after baths. I treasure smells a lot; I think they are more important than all our other senses. Places are marked by smells, memories are evoked by smells, people are remembered by smells, emotions are loaded with smells.

On a Sunday, I walked past a constructor worker carrying a bucket of cement and the smell belongs to Laos.

Everything in this world is differentiated by their scent: a double decker smells different from a single deck bus, which is again different from the smell trains carry. There is nothing to describe departures, arrivals, vacations but the whiff of air-conditioned airport air. A sunny day is a trail of fields of crisp grass, a rainy day holds vapoured air that smells heavy.

On a Tuesday, it is so hot I am perspiring and this wrinkled leaves smell belongs to Laos.

What do people do with all these remembering, all these recollections? I cannot even place a finger on what I miss really. I have three thousand photos, and the people who created these memories are here.

Tonight, I am reading ml's blog and she says, "too many commas, commas will run out of commas sometime , yet I don't like full stops".
The other day, we were paying for our White Water Rafting trip and Fam said, “Have you started packing?” Guan said, “We’re leaving soon.” I said, “Yah, two days after exams right.” And I think the moment stood there-three of us standing, in a kind of circle, pretending we’re leaving again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

...

reading this almost made me tear, for some weird inexplicable reason. :P

i think sentimentality and indecisiveness will kill me too, if they had not already did. :)

jia you for exams k! another set of memories for u to keep very soon :)

Anonymous said...

they say that curiosity kills the cat...

so...indecisiveness kills the..........donkey?

(I'm not implying you are a donkey by the way...haha)

Anonymous said...

Joshua the original hugger says:
She's not a donkey, she's a fish!!

:)

Sentinmentality and indecision is not a bad thing. Life Should never be predictable

Rubber Dust said...

hello hx, it's nice to know someone's in your shoes too: ) hope work has been good and yes, it's exams in a week's time. :/ you take care too. catch you in dec!

daryl.......indecisiveness and donkey????

joshua, u're up at the oddest hours.

Anonymous said...

zq, that sent a pang right through my heart. i wonder if rubberdust smells anything to you? i dont quite like/dislike the air-conditioned smell of airports, yet it's something that will stop me in my tracks. :)hx ure not alone, i have e same issues w sentimentality and indecisiveness.-ml

Harrison said...

The smell of airplane air floods the mind with memories of those long, long transatlantic flights, with no sign of night or day, dimmed lights, omelette and mushrooms with pepper on top, woolly but thin blankets and a folded copy of IHT/FT/ST untidily tucked away in the back seat compartment.

The smell of rain reminds me of those dreary days in Copenhagen and London. Or that afternoon at Lake Toba, with that grinning boy fishing out coins from the caldera, filled to the brim after torrential rain. Rain reminds me of sounds too - melancholic tunes. Funnily enough, of M2M's "Mirror Mirror" (which I put on repeat while in London) and Anna Nalick's "Wreck of the Day" (which I put on repeat while in Taiwan as the typhoon raged on outside).

And that sweet but moderated, unique, light and fun smell of Cape Grace's Chenin Blanc - one that stands out from the rest - makes me reminisce about Margaret River.

Something Small Thinking Big said...

Ahh memories memories

Arent they a baggage too hard to put down sometimes? (:

LAH said...

Haha!!

Now. The smell of the insides of taxis!

Rubber Dust said...

is that the smell you think of when you think of smells? anyway, who are you?: )