Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Inwardly

In the shelter of my green umbrella, the wind carries a mist that gathers on my face. My toes are wet and from my ankle up towards my knees, my jeans slowly turn a shade darker than it originally was. I feel the moist on my skin, the tips of my fingers are cold to the touch. I held onto the “Play” button, wishing it could turn on at least and when I saw red on the battery life, I hope it would last longer than I could bear silence. On the train, it was very cold, a kind of freeze my burnt skin would have yearned for during the six days of camp. A cold that chills the blue seats, stings the skin and is now deemed undesired by the forlorn. My Ipod is still alive and I do not have to deal with otherwise. I placed the notebook on my laps, pen in one hand, phone in the other, and search for a day that has not been scribbled on. Instinctively, my fingers find a name from the list of people I have to meet up before the semester begins and texts the person. I am surprised the train is still at stations I thought it had passed. When I close my eyes, I think about the girl from Eating Air, a white blouse stained by purple ink, her purple flower speeding across the underpass. She carries an expression I cannot fathom, I feel like a teenager from that movie. When the loud noises from the arcade dies away, when a camp of loud cheering is over, I am in my room, my bed on the right, my laptop in front, my air-conditioner behind. In the room, there is one person, and I am suddenly not used to that. Every free, wakening day is a time to catch up with old friends, while securing new friendships. In the company of so many others, and in the rhythm of left-over silly games from camps, in days that follow where I am pre-occupied, I have forgotten how voids and emptiness can be soothing.

2 comments:

MEILING said...

zq! boy i'm in the same position as you. scurrying around like ants.still glad that we'l get to catchup this wkend. cant wait too.

Anonymous said...

Your umbrella is green? Hey it's the same colour as mine! Cool!