Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I want to vomit.

I remember watching Sylvia the movie, and thinking how mentally unstable this woman is, to get so frustrated over writing, to be so overwhelmed by motherhood, to be unable to contain her own life in her own hands. Mostly, I wondered why she tore and burnt her work.

Today is the first day, since a long time, that I've spent the entire day at home, from morning to night, not stepping out at all. I have finally, after deliberating for more than a month, found a topic. It is a mammoth task ahead as I lay in bed wondering which voice to write from, the techniques I can use and later sit in front of my laptop, backspacing almost every line that I've typed. After which, I would click on Tools and Wordcount to see how many words I have typed. I walked around my room, the house, opened the fridge, ate things, came back to read whatever little has been written and I think what lousy work I have. And then, I think I want to achieve something, I have to press on, I need to push myself. So, I try to force another line out and 7 minutes later, the Internet browser is up and I am surfing around, finding nothing, but looking at everything else.

I couldn't understand Plath because wasn't writing a reflective and very liberating act? But I feel choked now. I cannot construct two sentences without cringing. I feel as though I have lost something and I am looking under the carpets, on table tops, everywhere for it, knowing that I will only find it one fine day when I'm not looking for it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pick up a pen, breath deeply, and remember why you loved writing in the first place. It doesnt matter what anyone thinks, what matters is that you wrote it and that it belongs to you.

-Joshua

Rubber Dust said...

josh, hello you. i've stopped cause i've been busy catching up with people, friends. how are you? are things better between the both of you?

Rubber Dust said...

and thanks for your advice.: )

Anonymous said...

Please have a vomitting bag around should you need to throw up. haha :)

Anonymous said...

I donno, but i cant let go yet. I guess I have to know. I'm still seeing her everyday. In a way its great, cause I'm happy when I'm with her. I'm trying to be less of a guy and stop hoping that she'll be mine or that she belongs to anyone. I guess gender studies is good for me eh?

Oh you really must start writing soon. I live on your inspiration

-Joshua

Rubber Dust said...

you're lying through your teeth or just being really polite.

anyway, about that girl, what do you mean yet! why must you even let go?from whatever little you told me the other time, obviously she likes you enough to .... plus she sees you every single day. hello i wouldnt want to see someone every day of my life unless i'm crazy over that person. and yes, she is attached. but not MARRIED dear. if you think she really is the love of your life, you'd be less of a guy to forgo your happiness to someone else you dont even know.hmm, that said, dont get too bogged down over this. she is, just a girl. there are many, many girls. then again, how many girls can you fall in love with?HAHA. i'm not much of a help eh.

this feels so impersonal. it's not even virtual chat.anyhows, good luck with the LOVE of your life.and something totally random, i passed this lovely shop called anthropology today!

Anonymous said...

:) I stick to what i said before! Still think you write beautifully and your own negative perception of yourself will not change my mind!

About the shop... what did they sell? oh and how come you find so many cool places in singapore? I wanna find places like that too!

-Joshua