Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Memory's a funny thing.

Festive seasons are like birthday parties for me. They keep us very busy and in business, we are kept a little lonely as well.

When I turned today, a person I had previously dated was two arm lengths away. I was caught by surprise. My first instinct was to turn back around before he caught sight of me to avoid the awkward moments of eye contact. It was scorching hot. I continued looking in his direction when I realized he was absorbed in a conversation which gave clearance for staring. So, two arm lengths away with throngs of people separating the both of us, I observed him in his new haircut. He looked better than I had remembered him to be. Someone who had shared a piece of history with me was now a stranger, like a black distant figure fading into a tunnel. I cannot remember what I had liked him for. Strangely, all I remember are the minute forgettable details: places, dates, timings, food, bus stops, playgrounds, movies, tile designs, the concert we wanted to go for but never did, random details that don’t deserve attention. Everything but the person himself. Is this how memory works for all? Or for all the things that didn't eventually work out?

It’s gonna be a new year soon and I guess new beginnings are enough reason for cheer.

7 comments:

MEILING said...

on that i remember this line you said, "we watched a show and parted ways." to me that is the epitome of the shortened(?) story you had.

i guess the forgettable details are easier on the heart/to keep than the unforgettable ones. (if one can even remember what they are/used to be)

Rubber Dust said...

i tried v hard to recall me telling you that...hmmm it is actually easy on the heart because i honestly don't feel sad at all. like the movie we watched together, all i remember is THE movie, and the activities we did--as though replacing the person wouldn't have made a difference.

the only jolts i get are the occasional bumping into each other and the strange sense of familarity and unfamilarity.

Anonymous said...

maybe the mind just blocks out memories selectively. or only belong to a certain period of time or person. or simply just forgets.. steph

Anonymous said...

whoops! *belongs
:D
steph

Rubber Dust said...

who knows how the mind works man...
i'm not a big fan of chinese songs or eason chan for that matter but i came across this from someone's blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne1C-HiGlII&feature=player_embedded

which i quite like...blame everything on the men!

Anonymous said...

your post is all too familiar. its funny how we both are strangers yet we feel the same or maybe it's just how the mind and the heart works (similar across all beings perhaps).

with that, your letter templates would prolly be a really great idea. =)

Rubber Dust said...

thanks!: )