Work-in-Progress

[Hunting for a good quote]

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Voice to Angela's silence

From Angela’s Ashes, my all-time classic:

“The women are gone to the cinemas, the men are in the pubs, and still Dad isn’t home. Mam says it’s a long way to the cement factory even if he’s a fast walker. She says that but her eyes are watery and she’s not singing anymore. She’s sitting by the fire smoking a Wild Woodbine she got on credit from Kathleen O’ Connell.”

“The women are coming home from the cinemas, laughing, and the men, singing, from the pubs. Mam says there’s no use waiting up any longer. If Dad stays in the pubs till closing time there will be nothing left from his wages and we might as well go to bed. She lies in her bed with Michael in her arms. It’s quiet in the lane and I can hear her crying even though she pulls an old coat over her face and I can hear in the distance, my father.”

“I want to go down and get the Friday Penny but Mam is sobbing with the coat over her mouth and Malachy says, I don’t want his old Friday Penny. He can keep it.”

No comments: